While the title for this post is geared towards the men, all of you ladies can get a lot from this one as well. Today we're going to brainstorm different affordable ways to treat your lady (or yourself)! Sure, you can take them out to a hip restaurant down the street that serves bone marrow and wild boar sloppy joes, but then you're even further from that early retirement we've been talking about... Instead, we're going to get creative.
(All ideas have proved to be effective in real-world testing.)
After a Long Day
If you know your lady is pulling a long day and you want to treat her to something special, nothing beats a candle lit bath.
- Lavender Epsom Salt (Amazon link) - $5.86
- Tealights (Amazon link) - $8.99
- Bonus: Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon from Trader Joe's - $2.49
The tea light bag come with 100 candles, so it will last 5-10 baths. Or one really epic bath! Because of this, the grand total comes out to less than $10 per bath. If you plan on doing this multiple times, get a larger amount of epsom salt for a more economical price. Check out this bag of epsom salt for a much greater bang for your buck. I mean, it has 4.8 stars on Amazon; that's incredible.
A Simple Gesture
Even if she isn't working a long day, it can still be nice to show some affection by surprising her when she gets home by laying out these somewhere in the house.
- Flowers - Take a walk through a park and pick them for free or $5.00 from any market
- Ferrero Chocolates (Amazon link) - $4.49
- Bonus: leftover tealights from your epic bath from earlier
Your milage may vary on this one, but it's worth a shot. Do some research and find out something that your lady is in to. The nerdier the better. Is she in to The Walking Dead? Pick up a paperback comic of it and have a fun night reading it together. I've done this. It's amazing. Know how to juggle? Give her lessons! Have a history with the Mario Bros? Grab a USB controller and download Super Mario Bros 3 on your laptop to play with her!
- The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye (Amazon link) - $9.13
- Juggling balls (Amazon link) - $9.99
- Super Nintendo USB controller (Amazon link) - $12.48 (the <$10 ones have poor reviews)
Not that kind of photoshoot! But a cute photoshoot could make some lasting memories. Just set up your camera on a table or chair and think of some fun poses. Awkward family photos in front of the fireplace with your puppy. Or find a rooftop and a sunset. Or just walk around town snapping photos of each other being silly in public. Who knows, maybe one of them will even be Facebook profile photo material!
This may be the most obvious idea, but is probably still underutilised. Making a quick stop at the grocer and cooking dinner for you lady could make her heart sing in a moment. Bonus points of it's healthy and delicious. It doesn't have to be fancy either; feel free to top it off with some sriracha.
- Chicken thighs - $2.00/pound
- Veggies (asparagus, broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc) - $5.00 or so
- Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon from Trader Joe's - $2.49