Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is hard. We've all tried a plethora of different diets and workout routines. If you've been able to stick with one, more power to you! For the rest of us, it's a lot of work. Or we've just become too lazy to continue.
This time around, my plan is simple. Meaning that my plan is to simplify my diet and exercise so that I can memorize and automate. Luckily, Timothy Ferriss has done all the hard work for us in his amazing book, The 4-Hour Body. This book contains all sorts of body hacks to lose fat, build muscle, sleep better, improve your sex life, and so much more.
What you'll find below is a painfully concise prescription of the losing fat and gaining muscle sections of the book. To summarize, the diet cuts out carbs while giving you one cheat day per week. For muscle building, you exercise for very short amounts of time while under incredible strain.
I made this post to act as a reference guide for myself so I don't have to constantly skim through the book looking for the little details sprinkled throughout. Hopefully this can do the same for you!
Minimalist Grocery List
- Avoid white carbs (bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, tortillas, fried food with breading)
- Eat the same few meals over and over again (30g protein breakfast within 30 minutes)
- Don't drink calories (soda, etc)
- Don't eat fruit (tomatoes and avocado okay)
- Take one day off per week (Saturday)
Proteins: organic eggs, chicken breast or thigh, grass-fed beef, fish
Legumes: lentils, black beans
Vegetables: spinach, mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower), sauerkraut, kimchee, asparagus, peas, green beans, onion
Condiments: spices, herbs, salsa, garlic powder, montreal steak rub
Snacks: almonds, walnuts (no more than ten at a time)
Drinks: water, tea, coffee, red wine (max two glasses), probiotics
Morning supplements: cissus quadrangularis (2), PAGG Daytime (1), creatine monohydrate (5g)
Evening supplements: calcium+magnesium+potassium (2), cissus quadrangularis (2), PAGG Nighttime (1), creatine monohydrate (5g)
Cheat Day Notes
- Normal breakfast
- Small glass of grapefruit juice before lunch
- Consume lemon and lime juice
- Drink caffeine and yerba mate tea during the worst meals
- Do 60-90 seconds of squats and wall presses right before and 1.5 hours after meals
- Complete one set of each exercise with a cadence of five seconds up then five seconds down.
- If reaching the maximum number of reps, add ten pounds.
- Do not drop the weight when hitting failure. Hold for five more seconds then lower the weight over ten seconds. This is the exact moment your muscles start growing.
- Do not pause at the top or bottom of any movements other than the bench press.
- Start with two days of rest between workouts. When starting to plateau, add an additional day of rest.
- Post-workout L-glutamine (10g).
Workout A: Yates row (palms up) with EZ bar + Shoulder-width barbell overhead press (7 reps 5/5 count)
Workout B: Slight incline bench press with shoulder-width grip (7 reps 5/1/5 count) + Squat (10 reps 5/5 count) + Stationary bike (3 minutes)
For easy bookmarking, I've made a custom URL so you can easily get back to this reference post at any time.